Saturday, April 19, 2014

Where Do Old Posts Go To Die?

      
                                                                                                Oscar Kosy

      Easter is almost here, meaning the Easter rush will soon be over and the bakery I work for will, in the immortal words of President Warren G. Harding, "return to normalcy".  At that point I will get a few days off!  Which means I am already plotting what to do with the time, genealogically speaking.  One option that comes to mind is re-posting my family information to all the message boards.  It may seem like a simple thing, but for some reason, (laziness?) I've been putting it off.

     Why go to the trouble to re-post data and queries I already have out there?  For one thing, over the intervening years I have discovered much more data on my family lines and found allied families and new locations to be investigated.

     For another, I don't know about you, but if I see a post from oh say, 1999 or thereabout, the odds are very good I won't bother to pursue it.  I may use the information, if any, that it contains as clues, but I tend not to reply to old posts.  They won't see it, their e-mail address has probably changed, (mine has), they may not still be researching...et cetera.

     I can't be the only pessimist out there, some of my message board posts are quite ancient and people are probably ignoring me!   However, when I think of the  herculean task of re-posting all my lines, (and it's not really--I'm such a total wuss), I decide to put it off for another day.  No more!  This week I am going to begin new posting; I will let you know if this results in anything useful, but in the meantime, I'd love to know if anyone else out there disregards the older posts?  Please tell me I'm not the only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment