Tuesday, July 30, 2013

What Became Of Great, Great Grandma Warner

     My great, great Grandfather Joseph Warner died in 1911 at the age of 55 in what could only be termed a freak accident.  He somehow stuck himself with a pin, got blood poisoning and died!  From a pin prick...he actually died!  I've looked at three different obituaries and none give any further details.  I'd really like to know what kind of a pin this could have been?

 Yet again the paper got it wrong, he'd been in the US since 1870, over 40 years
     At any rate, the poor man died, leaving Mary a widow, and for quite awhile I had no idea when she had passed away; all I was sure of was that after 1920, she disappeared from the census records Then one day while going through the local newspaper on microfilm I stopped dead in my tracks, there she was:
  Shortsville Enterprise, March 21, 1929
     The death of Mrs. Mary Warner Lockwood, a well known resident of Manchester, occurred at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Alvin LaRue, in Palmyra, last Thursday p.m., after a long illness.  Mrs. Lockwood was born in Manchester on September 2, 1856, a daughter of the late Paul and Louisa Wheat Worden.  She had spent her entire life in Manchester, with the exception of two years passed in Chicago.  She was married to Joseph Warner in 1878, his death occurring in April, 1911.  In 1922 she married Barton Lockwood.
     Beside her husband, she is survived by 5 children, Carlton Warner and Mrs. Clara Robinson of Manchester, Raymond Warner and Mrs. Flora LaRue of Palmyra and Edward Warner of Auburn; two sisters, Mrs. Flora Post of Manchester and Mrs. Ethel McClouth of Clifton Springs, and two brothers, Arthur Worden of Manchester and Loren Worden of Canandaigua.


     I knew it was her, her parents and survivors in the obituary confirmed it.  Never once had it occurred to me that  great, great grandma might have remarried, much less at the age of 66.  I then tried to find any trace of Barton Lockwood in census records, or any other record for that matter, but he eluded me. Those two years in Chicago had me puzzled too, I figured it must have been before her first marriage to Joseph.  I figured wrong.  Unable to find Mary in census records, I decided to try and locate a marriage announcement and found this:
Nov 2, 1922
     Announcement is made of the marriage of Mrs. Mary Warner, of Manchester town, and Samuel Lockwood of Chicago, the ceremony having taken place at the Baptist parsonage in Manchester last week Wednesday evening... Mr. and Mrs. Lockwood have since departed for their future home in Chicago. They carry with them the best of wishes for their future happiness.

     No wonder she wasn't in the 1925 New York census, she wasn't in New York.  She moved back at some point, her obit notes she was a resident of Manchester.  I get the feeling Samuel may very well have remained in Chicago, Mary's grave does not bear the name Lockwood.  She is buried next to Joseph Warner and they share a headstone. Grandma and Grandpa are together again for eternity.


No comments:

Post a Comment