Thursday, July 4, 2013

Thankful Thursday/You Tube

     Happy Fourth of July!  I hope yours is sunny and warm, here in the northeast it's been rainy and annoying.   However...this gives me an excellent excuse to sit in front of my computer.  This morning I'm thankful for You Tube and wanted to pass on some interesting videos I've found.  

     An old census gave the profession of one of my ancestors as collier.  Having no idea what that was I immediately googled it and it turns out the guy made coal.  On You Tube I found a video showing how it used to be done, a lengthy, involved process.  There are videos of roof thatching, turf cutting, (the old fashioned way), Irish dancing, Irish language, of course music, and just about anything else you can imagine.  Here is a charming story told by Eamon Kelly that appears to have been filmed in the late 40's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzP4FM3WqwY

     There are old silent films made in Ireland, part of, "a film Restoration Project of Irish Film & TV Research Online, Trinity College Dublin".  There are Irish ghost stories, history videos, videos of towns and the countryside, try a search of your ancestor's townland, or the nearest large town.  This is a nice one of the Wicklow Mountains http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ergWyCYalw

     Just about any topic you can think of has a video, not a bad way to spend a rainy day.




No comments:

Post a Comment