Friday, February 7, 2020

I Really Need To See Those Books

          As often happens, the more I learn about Connor Ryan the more my theories change and the more questions arise.  I still have no explanation as to why his name appears in the Primary Valuation of Goldengarden printed in November of 1850, yet doesn't appear in the Valuation Revision Book of that same year; or for the next seven years.  His name should be in those Revision Books.  Unless the lady in the Valuation Office somehow missed it, which doesn't seem likely.  And too, the record of that unfortunate misunderstanding which resulted in the arrest of Connor Ryan of Goldengarden in 1852, can't be forgotten.  The court believed he was living in Goldengarden in 1852.

      Connor's son Andrew Ryan was born at Goldengarden in 1827 as were his next two children in 1829 and 1831.  The 1844 Tenure Book indicates Connor had been a tenant there only since 1835; but that actually makes perfect sense since he had left Goldengarden and was living in Alleen in 1834 when his son John was born there that year.  He then returned to Goldengarden in 1835 like the Tenure Book says, before his daughter Sarah was born there in 1838.  If nothing else, it makes me more confident that I have the right Connor Ryan as the land and church records agree.  Connor is also in the House Books for Goldengarden in 1847, '48, and '49. 

      I initially thought perhaps he wasn't in the Revision Books because he lived with someone else, but I'm no longer inclined to believe that since in the Primary Valuation Connor was shown with a house and he appeared in those House Books...with a house.  Also, the Valuation Revision Books did show him in 1858-1860 and 1860-1861, again with a house.  It's very perplexing.

     Keeping in mind, you can't throw a stone in South Tipperary and not hit a Ryan, I still think the Michael Ryan living in Goldengarden could possibly be Connor's father or brother; but after reading through the Valuation and all the pre-publication materials, I've noticed something else.  Right above Connor's name in all of them was a William Ryan on a twenty-four and a half acre lot.  The numbers on lots changed dramatically during the process of placing a value on the properties.  Connor's lot was once 26, then 22, then 20 and finally 12 in the final product.  It doesn't appear he was moving around, his neighbors remained quite consistent in order of  their names in relation to his in the books and the size of  Connor's lot doesn't change until 1850 when it gets a bit a bit larger.  


Tenure Book 1844 2 rods of land. Note the lot number 26 crossed out.


Field Book 1849 20 perches of land

Going from 2 rods of land in 1844 to 20 perches in 1849 seems like a change, but the math wizard at Google says they both work out to .125 acres.

     William's name was right above Connor's until the Revision Book for 1858-1860 showed William Cummins, not William Ryan next to Connor.  I'm redoubling my efforts to find a travel companion who'd like to see Ireland and the Valuation Office in Dublin!

       

2 comments:

  1. If I find myself with a few hours to spare in Dublin city, I'll take a look for you, though I wouldn't hold my breath. I rarely visit the valuation office, even though my own research might benefit. And, while I'm very much looking forward to meeting you, Ellie - would even hit the city for the occasion - one of my friends is a pro-genealogist, and could easily resolve your conundrum, I'm sure. Drop me a line if you'd like her contact details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dara, but please don't go to any trouble. I would so love to meet you too, I'm working on getting my oldest son to accompany me. ..

    ReplyDelete