Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Some People Should Never Mess With Smart Phones

     


     I never wanted a smart phone.  I never wanted any cell phone at all until my youngest son left for training to serve in Iraq several years ago.  I knew I would not be able to leave my house until his return unless I had access to a telephone, so I acquired one.  Not a smart phone, just a flip phone but it served it's purpose and also provided comic relief when my kids cracked up over the garbled texts they received from me.

     A few weeks ago my husband decided we needed new phones, and so I am now the proud owner of a smart phone.  Actually I am the perpetually frustrated owner of a smart phone.  I don't understand the icons, I can't see the tiny print or texts, and I'd like to fling it into the driveway and back over it a couple times.  I have also discovered that app is the most overused word in the English language. The worst trick of this demon phone however, has been to tamper with my blog.

     I was playing with the thing one day and noticed hundreds of photographs.  There were photos from my blog, documents, photos I had deleted, census images--I had no idea how they got on my phone?  (I never said I was a techie)  Well, that can't be good I thought, they must be using all sorts of space, I don't want them on my phone, so I began deleting them.  The next day I took a look at my blog and freaked out.  There, where photos should have been, were instead boxes with  minus signs.  After a quick internet search, I discovered "smart" phones can do that.  That vindictive phone had deleted the photos not just from itself, but from my blog!

     I will now be spending the next few weeks months restoring my blog.  I publish this as a warning, don't let this happen to you.  In the immortal words of Catherine Aird, "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."

No comments:

Post a Comment