Friday, January 31, 2020

Mystery of Lot 20 Resolved

Map from the Valuation Office


     The past few days I've been blogging about my frustrated attempts to locate my 3rd great-grandfather Cornelius Ryan's lot in Goldengarden, South Tipperary.  All the books online, field, house, etc, and the printed valuation placed him on lot 20.  Which didn't exist on any online maps.  I decided the only way to answer this question was to purchase copies of the cancelled/revised books and get an opinion from the Valuation Office regarding lot 20.  Years ago I ordered the same records for another 3rd great-grandfather, Daniel McGarr, and was happy with the service at that time so I sent them an email yesterday afternoon, probably around 8 pm in Ireland given the time difference.  This morning the reply was in my mailbox.  So very different from dealing with New York bureaucracy.

     It appears that somewhere along the way, the lots in Goldengarden were renumbered and Cornelius, or Connor as he was called, was actually a resident of lot 12.  The darling lady at the Valuation Office informed me Connor only appeared in two books, 1858-1860 and 1860-1861 so she was going to just email me the images.  Which made me extremely happy!  The fact he was not recorded in the 1861-1862 book or after is what I would have expected since Connor and his family sailed into New York Harbor in August of 1860.  I was told that lot 12, which was quite small, was thereafter absorbed into lot 11.

     I'm still a bit puzzled over why he doesn't appear in Goldengarden until the 1858 book.  The books start in 1850, and Connor's children, from 1827 onward to 1844, were baptized with the given address of Goldengarden.  I'm very sure I have the right children, the church registers give the mother's full name along with the father's, and since most of the children immigrated I have records on this side of the Atlantic with which to compare the birth years in the church records.  I even have the church marriage record of one of the children confirming his parent's names were Cornelius Ryan and Alice O'Dwyer.  Connor was living in Goldengarden in 1852 also, according to Petty Sessions records, Defendant- Ryan, Cornelius.  Residence, Goldengarden, Balintemple Parish.  Offence- Being drunk at Greenane.

     It makes me wonder if Connor and his family lived with another person in Goldengarden for a time.  There was a Michael Ryan with almost 40 acres also living there a few lots away from Connor, I have to wonder if Michael was Connor's father?  Connor did name his first son Michael, while the second son was named for his mother Alice's father, Andrew O'Dwyer, whose name I have from Alice's death certificate in New York.  This is one of those questions that may not be answerable with extant records.  I'm just happy I finally know the spot Grand-Dad called home.

     

4 comments:

  1. Ellie, can the valuation office tell you who was on lot 12 before Connor? Is it the kind of record where they cross out the previous leasehold and put in the new name? They may have been living with family but only the leasehold name would show

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat, They can if the renumbering didn't mess things up too much. They do cross out previous leasehold and put in the new holder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You would need to review the cancelled book(s) prior to 1858-1860, to see the tenants/holdings. As Kat says, the valuation office should be able to see who was at lot 12, in the earlier book. Also, seems strange given he already had his own holding when Griffiths initially did the survey, that he 'lost' it later. I know there may be a gap between Griffiths and the first book, but it might be possible to recognize his holding in the earliest book, based on the description and acreage in Griffiths.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've asked them if they could tell me who was there, but no reply. I think they are done giving me free information ;)

    ReplyDelete