Thursday, January 24, 2019

Another Look At Facebook

   

   
Lester Robinson, Boy Scout

 
     I admit to having mixed feelings about Facebook, more specifically about it's founder, but that's the topic of another blog.  Today I was looking at a Facebook site I belong to called, "Things I Remember About Manchester", Manchester being the village in which I grew up.  My father grew up there too, as did both his parents and his grandparents. Needless to say, my family has lots of memories of this place.

      Every so often members will post old photographs of the village and it's denizens.  If I'm lucky the poster will know the identity of the persons in their photo. Today was one of those days.  I was taking a quick look to see what had been added recently and found a collage of photos I hadn't seen before.  I only clicked on the group because one of the pictures looked interesting, causing a slideshow to open. The next photo after the one that had piqued my interest, and shown above, was labeled, Lester Robinson, taken in the 1920's. Lester was the son of my second great-aunt Clara Warner and her husband Burt Robinson.  I'd never seen an image of Lester before though I knew from census records that as a young man my grandfather had lived with Lester and his parents for a time, so this was an exciting find.

     And how about this photo?  Lester in his home made car--


Maybe Lester took Grandpa for a spin in this baby.


     You never know what might turn up unexpectedly on one of these sites, so I plan on keeping a closer eye on this one in addition to the Facebook sites of Irish counties I belong to.  In fact, I think I need to go seek out sites for the hometowns of some other ancestors.

2 comments:

  1. There's a facebook group for my home town too, Ellie. It's great for throwing up some old photographs from my schooldays, even pictures of my Dad and Granda. Sometimes Facebook is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it is! Love those old photos.

    ReplyDelete