Sunday, May 8, 2016

Church Record Sunday/ Rev. Denis Kane PP Baltinglass


     The Rev. Dr. Denis Kane was born in 1822 in County Carlow to Edward Kane and Catherine Hoy.  He was ordained in 1848 and joined the staff of Carlow College that same year, where he remained for nine years.  He was PP [Parish Priest] at Baltinglass Parish in County Wicklow from 1871 until his death in 1883.   The letters VG after his name are an abbreviation of Vicar General, an important position meaning he was "deputized" by the Bishop of Kildare & Leighlin to act on his behalf.

     Being the PP at Baltinglass during those years means he was my great-great-great-grandfather Daniel McGarr's priest.  At least until 1875 when Grandfather died.  He might even have said Grandfather's funeral Mass, but it could just as likely have been one of his curates. What really captures my imagination here is the fact that Grandfather McGarr knew this man, this very man I am sitting at my desk looking at was gazed upon by my third great-grandfather.  It's a sort of connection to Grandfather, I'm not exactly sure how to put into words -- the emotions that excites.  You either get it or you don't, and I'm quite sure if you're reading a genealogy blog, you do.
   

6 comments:

  1. Wow! where did you find his memorial card, Ellie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found the card at http://www.delanyarchive.ie/

      Delete
  2. I wondered that too---where did you find the card?

    And as far as getting it or not, I definitely get it. Anything that allows me to see what they saw or walk where they walked is a thrill. So glad you found this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would. I found the card at
      http://www.delanyarchive.ie/

      Delete
  3. HI Ellie, I am the 2nd great grand niece of Fr Denis Kane. I know the direct line to Denis but I don't need to know that to know that he is one of my Kane's - it's all in the image and his likeness has been handed down to my mother's family who left Co Carlow before being evicted and found a farm to rent in Co Kildare. Fr Denis gets a mention in connection to Charles Stewart Parnell, which whom he disagreed. He has a distinguished history. E

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for commenting, and for the bit of history.

    ReplyDelete